TODAY my Outward SYMPTOMS Are SO NOTICEABLE

        I had an extremely busy weekend and I think that is why my outward symptoms are SO SO SO noticeable!  I can barely walk! It is awful.  I got up twice during the night and I had to grab onto my walker to get to the bathroom. I have shower bars but no bars next to my toilet. It took me quite awhile to get up and go back to bed.  My leg throbbed and throbbed from sciatica, the worse it has ever been or the worst I remember. And my balance from Parkinson's is terrible today.  I keep banging into walls. It is just awful and painful.  My speech therapist came to my house this morning.  When she saw me hobbling to the door, she told me that I could have cancelled the session. I don't like to do that.  My pain is much less when I am not standing. But I have no balance even while sitting today. This is a first for me!
       Friday afternoon Dan picked up a UHAUL to load up to take Olya to college.  I helped pack it the best I could but Dan and Olya did most of the work because the stuff was all so heavy.  Then we took off and drove a few hours and stayed at a motel overnight. We went out to dinner and we went shopping for a few last minute things.   We got up really early Sat. morning and drove to her university. Olya and her two friends rented an apartment for her Junior year at college. We are hoping that she stays in the same apartment for two years.  We told her NOT to bring any of the furniture back, give it away or sell it, etc.  Her roommates parents said the same thing.   My balance is poor when I carry things in two hands. Olya's apartment was up one half flight of stairs, probably about ten stairs or so.  If I carried two things in my hands(and stupidly I did), I would go  up a stair and then fall back a stair. Then I would give it my all and go up two stairs and go back one. It was like a Laurel and Hardy comedy skit!!     

     If someone came by and took one of my bags or items, I could reasonably walk up the stairs if I held on to the railing!  After we unloaded, we had to run out to get a few things like more lights and a fan. Then we took Olya food shopping for a LOT of food.  I was exhausted but the FOOD always matters!! Then I drove us home, I also drove up the day before to the hotel.  We got home about 8 pm and I helped Dan unpack the car.  He and Olivia and Frankie went into the city to eat steak sandwiches but I was too tired to join them! My Parkinson's balance was really off on Sat. evening.

LOOK AT ALL OF THE FOOD!!!




         On Sunday morning I got up early to meet my bestie at a flea market.  Priscilla and I LOVE flea markets.  We walked around, I only bought the letter A to take to the cemetery for Amy. Priscilla and I went out to Paneras for lunch and chatted for a few hours. My walking around on Sunday was pretty good. I did the two or three step shuffle and I took Tylenol for the sciatica pain. After lunch, Dan and I went to the cemetery. He brought the Cinderella doll that I had purchased for Amy previously. And I took the wooden letter A for her.  Then we went to the supermarket and got a large bottle of wine and a cake for Lena. We had Congrats on Your New Home written on the cake!   Lena was our English tutor when we first adopted Olivia 12 years ago and we just LOVE her and have stayed close to her.  She came to the U.S. from Ukraine as a nanny. She was a nanny full time and also took online college courses and then she enrolled in the University of PA and she is now a middle school counselor. Lena was a straight A student which is probably why she got into Penn for graduate school! She worked full time while attending undergraduate and graduate school.  In the meantime, she was able to get her parents to come to the U.S. about five years ago. We just LOVE her parents!  They talk and then Lena translates. Then we talk and Lena translates. Olivia understands a lot of what they say but she can't respond in Russian!  Olivia had told me that Ukrainians toast everything when having a large meal with friends or family! We must have toasted and clinked glasses together about 10 times and Lena's dad kept filling up our glasses. We went through several bottles of wine last night. I only drank two glasses of wine and sipped a little with each toast.  The food was ABSOLUTELY delicious. I think that Lena and her mom cooked all day long! As Dan says, it is ALWAYS about the food!!! Lena's mom gave me the cherry pierogies to take home. (And Olivia and Dan ate some of them on the way home!!)
       I had a wonderful weekend but my body is paying for it today.  I am taking Tylenol every few hours just to take away a bit of sciatica pain but there is NOTHING I can do about my balance. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day!
 

Comments

  1. I have learned I can only do one thing a day. Like travel for 1 hour to see the neurologist. Or do the general housework for a morning, holding onto furniture and cabinet tile to keep my balance or from falling from freezing. I think you did an amazing amount of stuff. We need to be careful of judging our worth by how much we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and you are correct, I should ONLY do one or two things a day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2