Parkinson's Pals

     
       When I got diagnosed with PD, I joined several Facebook Pages and I started a Facebook Page called People With Parkinson's.  I started the page at the end of March 2019 and there are now 544 members. Unfortunately, the number of PD patients keeps growing.  It is always good to gain insight and helpful comments from people who are going through the same thing.  I am also bereaved mom and I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the other bereaved moms who helped me through the worst time of my life, especially my friend Debbie, and  later my friend Priscilla.  Debbie and I both lost healthy teenagers the same year and I think that is why we connected so well. Debbie's funny comments and huge support literally saved my life!  Priscilla is my best friend and we also connected in a way that I can't explain.  We met online and now attend the same bereaved parents group at night.  And I run a daytime bereaved moms group once a month.  I am also an older adoptive mom and I connected totally with people who adopted in their late thirties and forties! I met my friend Deb G when I first adopted Olivia and we completely related to each other! Deb G is one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to call a good friend! J is now one of my closest friends, we both adopted from Ukraine and used the same home study agency which closed in the midst of our adoptions.  That bonded us and then our friendship bonded us even more! I also started a Facebook page for Older Adoptive moms at the end of 2017 and there are close to 600 members now. I am a people person, I like to be with and chat with others who experience the same things. There is power in groups, power to educate, power to help and power to feel part of something bigger than oneself!

        I think I should join an in-person group of people who also have PD. There is a group that meets once a month not too far from where I live. I had joined a boxing class/gym for people with PD but my sciatica prevents me from attending. I went a few times but I was in even more pain after the class so I need to do something different.  I think I will try the group in November and see what it is like.  I don't like walking into a room where everyone else knows each other but hopefully they will be welcoming!  I enjoy chatting with  people online who have Parkinson's.  But I think I need to get to know some in-person people who have the same thing. And of course, every case is different but we all have many of the same symptoms.
        Last night was another tossing and turning night.  I slept from 11:30 - 2:30 and then I was up until 8:00 and then fell back to sleep for almost an hour. Maybe I should go back to medical marijuana!

Comments

  1. yes go back to marijuana..I find it so odd when people will take all kinds of drugs but worry about pot if it works it works..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2