A Little Good News and Orthotics/Sciatica/Parkinson's

   A little bit of Good News!!!  Today when I got out of bed, I didn't need to use my walker!!!!! I am in pain but it is less than it was and ANY little bit of relief is a wonderful thing!!!! I am only shuffling the two and three step shuffle!! THAT IS PROGRESS!!  I am beyond happy, I can go up and down the steps without sitting on my butt!! I can walk down one step at a time but it has been a LONG time since I have been able to do that!
          I showered and could stand up for a few minutes and this is huge progress!! I have a shower chair but I usually need to sit on it the entire time!! My foot even feels better!  I hope this is progress and not a fluke. I am tempted to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill but I am so afraid of the deep sciatica pain returning! My doctor wants me to exercise.   I think I will wait until Monday and see if my pain stays at this level!  My doctor gave me pills to reduce the swelling in my broken foot but man oh man, do they make me urinate!!!! I already have overactive bladder so with this new pill, I spend more time in the bathroom than usual!!!(And that is a HUGE amount of time) Maybe this is TMI !!  No one, including me, appreciates good health until they don't have it!!! 
         



Orthotics is the branch of medicine that deals with the provision and use of artificial devices such as splints and braces. Orthotics are prescription medical devices that you wear inside your shoes to correct biomechanical foot issues such as problems with how you walk, stand, or run.   
They can also help with foot pain caused by medical conditions such as diabetes, plantar fasciitis, bursitis, and arthritis.

 My friend Leslie's BIL thinks I need a pair of custom orthotics and that will help relieve some of my sciatica pain. I had had an appointment with the PT he recommended last week. I cancelled it because of my broken foot(painful stress fracture).   The PT called me yesterday and was wondering why I cancelled the appointment.  She told me that her office already received the referral from my primary doc.  I told her about my stress fracture and she said she still wanted me to come in and get evaluated so I made an appointment for next week! She said that she could definitely help with the sciatica. I am glad to hear that but I have heard it before. I hope the orthotics work!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2