Parkinson's and the SUPERMARKET

 
    I usually send Dan food shopping or I take one of the girls with me. Due to my sciatica pain, I can't carry bags that are heavy at all.  I dropped Olivia off at work and then I went into Acme market to send money Western Union to Olya's sister in Ukraine.  Every now and then I send her $100 because they are really poor and I know it helps. While I was waiting in line I looked at the sale paper and thought I would pick up a few things.  I always have a cart with me because I need to lean on it or I need to take my walker in the store. I know it is my issue but I think people stare at me when I use my walker. The few things turned out to be a  shopping cart load! I got two cases of water and lots of other stuff I didn't need. I got lunch meat for the girls and Dan to make sandwiches.  While I was there, I wanted to get vinegar to kill my weeds. My friend Deb sent me directions for a natural week killer that uses white vinegar, Epsom salts, and Dawn dish detergent. It works so well!! I think I have made about twenty batches so far! I didn't know where things were in this Acme because it was near where Olivia works and I don't usually shop there.  I finally found the gallon vinegar containers but they were WAY in the back on the bottom shelf.  I looked for an Acme worker but couldn't find anyone free. I thought about bending down to the floor and reaching all the way back to the bottom shelf and thought......forget it!! I might never get up again or see the outside world again because of my Parkinson's!  I was really afraid to go down on my knees and lean in.  Sometimes my balance is so off that I fall completely forward into whatever is in front of me and that would have been quite awkward and embarrassing! When I checked out, I asked the bagger not to make my bags too heavy. She asked me if I wanted help out to the car with the two cases of water and I said SURE! I have always been independent  and relied mainly on myself to get things done but having sciatica and Parkinson's always lets me now say YES whenever help is offered. Even though Parkinson's is right there with me,  God knows that Parkinson's NEVER helps me out! It is sort of like having something always weighing me down. Parkinson's is heavy, drags my feet, and keeps me off balance. I also lean and lurch forward when walking. I try to stand straight and tall but I think those days are long past!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2