PARKINSON'S BALANCE is OFF ONCE AGAIN

         I am trying to live my life as normal  to possible that I can! I try to ignore the Parkinson's symptoms whenever I can/ My sciatica pain is so much better since my SI joint injection. I am scheduled for another shot next month. I had to see the PA today because my pain management  doc had a death in her family.  I really like the PA,  she explains everything in detail and then I can come home and google it and find out all the info I want to know!  She was telling me about a radio frequency SI Joint procedure. They don't do that at my doc's location but they know a doctor in Willow Grove who specializes in the technique. I can only get three more steroid injections so I am hoping that I can be a candidate for this procedure if the shots don't really lessen my pain.
        Today I went to a chair yoga class. Most of the people are quite able to do all of the modified yoga poses.  My Parkinson's made me a poor student in the YOGA class! My balance was so off! I kept feeling like I was at least three steps behind each position because it took me so long to be sure that I wasn't going to fall over each move.Whenever the teacher had us lean in any direction I had to have a death grip hold on the chair. Thank God that there was a chair or I would have fallen. Without a chair to hold onto, my "downward facing dog" pose would have had me fall flat onto the floor, I would have been a cartoon dog splat on the floor!






My WARRIOR POSE!! Such an incredible likeness of me!



          Radiofrequency ablation (RFA), or radiofrequency neurotomy, is a type of injection procedure that is used to treat several conditions including chronic neck and/or back pain. In the neck and back, pain stemming from the vertebral facet joints or the hip’s sacroiliac joints or the posterior pelvis may be treated using RFA.
Radiofrequency ablation (RFA), or radiofrequency neurotomy, is a type of injection procedure that is used to treat several conditions including chronic neck and/or back pain. In the neck and back, pain stemming from the vertebral facet joints or the hip’s sacroiliac joints or the posterior pelvis may be treated using RFA.

Animated medical still radiofrequency ablation (RFA)
In RFA, a small amount of electrical current is carefully passed through a specialized radiofrequency needle on a pain-transmitting nerve to create a heat lesion. Watch: Lumbar Radiofrequency Neurotomy Video
RFA involves heating a part of the pain-transmitting nerve with a radiofrequency needle to create a heat lesion. This resulting lesion prevents the nerve from sending pain signals to the brain.

Goals of Radiofrequency Ablation

The goals of treating facet and sacroiliac joints with RFA are to:
  • Reduce neck or back pain for longer periods of time, typically for more than 6 months.1-2
  • Improve neck and back function for more range of motion, which may allow the patient to continue with a physical therapy program.
  • Reduce the intake of pain medications, which tend to have serious side effects or risks when used long term.
  • Avoid or delay surgery, which could carry additional risks and a long recovery period.
Even if the pain is not completely eliminated, RFA may provide moderate pain-relief and restoration of function for daily movements
     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2