Rock Steady Boxing Class

     
      Today was my first rock steady boxing class for Parkinson's sufferers.  I had to go to the beginner's class because I still have my walker some days.  This class only has 5 people in it.  The other people all had caretakers with them.  when I was evaluated I told them that I was not going to bring a caretaker with me because I didn't need one.  Dan happened to drive me today because we were going to food shop after.  He sat out in the waiting room.  The assistant told him that he had to stay and he said no, I'm not going to do that, my wife is fine without me.  I don't understand why she would say that because I went over it with the instructor and the evaluator.  Dan left to go get coffee and the assistant came in and told the instructor that Dan left even though she told him he had to stay. She did NOT like that he left!   I spoke up and said, no, I have gone over this twice, I don't need an assistant.  Dan came back after he got coffee and a paper but he stayed out in the waiting room.  Th people in this class are really slow.  Most are about 15-20 years older than I am! I enjoyed the class because basically you work on your own. I think I will go to one class a week an do physical therapy the other day per week.  The class is an hour long and i had no trouble keeping up.  I did go the the gym 3 times per week before this Parkinson's and sciatica crap happened to me.  I don't think I would be a regular member of this class.  I didn't use my walker the entire time.  The instructor was sweet and said to me, I didn't think you would be able to do all the stations.  The other members of the class needed directions several times and needed a caretaker behind them for balance and to keep them steady.  I am not there yet. I hope I never need that but most likely I will because Parkinson's is a progressive disease.
          After class, we went food shopping.  I had to lean on the cart because I had trouble walking again!  It is difficult to explain but I can only take baby steps and my legs sometimes freeze up and won't move! Olivia wanted us to get all the ingredients for her and Frankie to make Tacos.  Frankie was picking her up after school because he is on Spring break.  After they got home about 4:30, Olivia started cutting and chopping all the ingredients!  Dan and I were having hamburgers instead of Tacos.  I had made hamburger patties when we got home from Acme.  Dan took a nap so I gave Frankie the job of grilling the hamburgers.  Her had NEVER grilled before but did a great job!  The burgers were so delicious.  I think his mom does most of the cooking at their house, she even does his wash!   Olivia told him that if they ever decide to live together that he had to do his own wash because she wasn't going to do it!! She showed him how to separate the clothes into lights, whites, darks, and mediums. And she showed him what water temperatures to use and how much detergent to put in. I taught my kids how to do their own wash when they entered middle school.  I worked full-time and it is important that kids learn to be responsible and do their own responsibilities! I think working moms need their kids to help around the house, especially with their own responsibilities.  I worked full-time so that our kids didn't have to take any loans for college or cosmetology school.  When Joe got married, I told Kat that she was lucky because he didn't expect big meals, he was happy with cereal and he could cook simple meals. Joe was 9 when I had Renee so he changed many a diaper!  When they had kids Kat told me that she was glad Joe knew what to do.
         Today was an OK Parkinson's day.  I didn't have to send the entire day on the couch but I did sit for a few hours and read.  Tomorrow I am back to the chiropractor for my sciatica.  He is just the best chiropractor ever!

Non-contact boxing inspired classes can reverse, reduce and even delay the symptoms of PD.

We are learning every day that there are ways in which people with Parkinson’s disease can enhance their quality of life and even build strength, flexibility and speed! By exercising with coaches who know the ropes, you can fight your way out of the corner and start to feel and function better.
These classes have proven that anyone, at any level of Parkinson’s, can actually lessen their symptoms and lead a healthier and happier life.
Boxers condition for optimal agility, speed, muscular endurance, accuracy, balance, hand-eye coordination, footwork and overall strength to defend against and overcome opponents. At Rock Steady the opponent is Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s causes a loss in many of the same elements that boxers condition to improve. And published medical research has shown that forced, intense exercise can reduce, reverse and delay Parkinson’s symptoms. We also know that a diversity of symptoms needs to be addressed simultaneously.
In comparison with other sports, boxing is the most physically demanding styles of training, according to a study conducted by ESPN and by people who have done it! But in addition to being an intense, diverse form of training, boxing is also an incredible stress reliever, confidence booster and FUN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2