Out Socializing with Parkinson's and My Parkinson's Gait

     
       Today I had a doctor appointment with my orthopedic doctor.  He gave me a shot in my hip because I have so much pain walking.  He said my x-ray was good, it didn't show any arthritis  so my pain is probably bursitis.  The shot worked, I feel so much better! My Appointment was at 10:00 a m so I had to get up at 7:30 a m to shower, get dressed and put on make-up. All of my movements are so freaking SLOW!!  I don't always do the make-up thing but I was meeting my two best friends from college for lunch! I wasn't sure I'd have time to put on make-up after my doctor appointment.   I left my house at 9:15 to get to my appointment.  I had to take my meds, lug my walker out to the car, and off I went.  I got to the medical building about 9:45 and then went in after I lugged my walker out of the trunk.  I parked in a handicapped space, but it was pretty far away from where I was heading.  I just made it to my appointment on time because my legs kept freezing up and I had to walk in baby steps.  I often wonder how I look to others watching me walk. People have been so nice to me, they go out of their way to hold doors open and move out of my way.  I really like my doc, he feels so bad that I have Parkinson's so he is trying to help me with any pain I have. Most people assume I have a hip or knee problem when they see my walker.  When I say I have Parkinson's, they look as if I am ready for the grave!


      I drove to meet my two girlfriends for lunch.  We had so much fun!  I just love to be with them. I parked my walker out of the way and totally forgot that I had Parkinson's while I was sitting down.   We sat at the restaurant for about 3 hours, they never mind because they know us from frequent lunches and we are great tippers and it wasn't crowded.  Both of my friends just retired this year.  I don't know how this happened, it seems like we recently graduated from college  Where did all the years go???Mary's daughter is pregnant so Joanne and I gave Mary a baby gift to give her.  The baby shower is in June but this is Mary's first grandchild and we are so excited for her!! Mary is going to babysit for her  daughter a few days a week.  Joanne's son Matt is working and living the life, he is a worldwide traveler and his home base is in Florida.  He owns his own company and is dating a girl that Joanne just loves. I hope that relationship continues!
     After lunch I came home, cleaned up a little and read a book for an hour.  Later I went to the library Book Club.  I didn't read the book but if you attended the meeting, you got 4 passes to Longwood Gardens!  I sat and listened to their discussion, it was interesting.  Tomorrow morning I have a chiropractor appointment in the morning and then I have an appointment with the head of neurology at a hospital near me.  I have only heard good things about this neurologist.  I hope he can get me on a better course of treatment and gives me a definitive diagnosis!

  I keep reading everything I can about Parkinson's.  I found this online and it actually made me feel better.  I don't think I have "atypical" Parkinson's. I just have Parkinson's which is not as scary as atypical.  I don't have tremors. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Parkinson's disease is a progressive nervous system disorder that affects movement. Symptoms start gradually, sometimes starting with a barely noticeable tremor in just one hand. Tremors are common, but the disorder also commonly causes stiffness or slowing of movement.(this is me....stiffness and slowing of movement)
Parkinsonian gait (or festinating gait, from Latin festinare [to hurry]) is the type of gait exhibited by patients suffering from Parkinson's disease (PD). This disorder is caused by a deficiency of dopamine in the basal ganglia circuit leading to motor deficits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2