Parkinsons


         Today I spent  a few hours reading about Parkinsons.  I don't like much of what I read.  My neurologist told me that basically Parkinsons is a disease that effects the motor symptoms in the brain. Apparently, it is the most common movement disorder.  The brain needs dopamine and people who have Parkinsons don't make or have enough dopamine.  There is no definitive reason why anyone gets Parkinsons.  There are several theories, one  being a mutation on a gene, I believe that is the correct theory,  My doctor said that the symptoms, rate of progression and degree of movement difficulty varies with each person.  I don't have any tremors, my difficulty is movement. The fact that I also have sciatica in my left leg makes movement even more difficult.

        Parkinson's disease is a disorder of the nervous system that primarily affects bodily movement. It develops because of the impairment or death of certain nerve cells in the brain. The loss of these neurons causes essential neurotransmitter levels to drop. Lower levels lead to abnormal brain activity, which in turn affects control of muscle movement. Parkinson's is mostly diagnosed in older individuals.
These symptoms I mostly have
 except for rigidity or difficulty swallowing.
  • Weakness
  • Small or shuffling steps
  • Slow walking
  • Freezing or inability to move
  • Low endurance
  • Decline in balance
  • Rigidity or stiffness
  • Inability to project voice
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Decrease in fine motor skills, like handwriting, or using buttons and zippers
There are several risk factors:
AGE: It is often just one of many different contributing factors.  (I fit this risk factor!)

GENDER :Studies have shown that men tend to get Parkinson’s disease more frequently than women do. (This doesn't apply to me, I am a female!)
Genetics and Heredity: Certain genetic factors have been shown to increase the risk of getting Parkinson’s disease. People who have a specific gene known as alpha-synuclein are 1.5 times more likely eventually get Parkinson’s disease.  (I don't know if I have that gene or not!.)  Your chance of getting the disease is higher if one or more people in your family have developed Parkinson’s disease.(None of my relatives have had or have this disease)
ENVIRONMENTAL TOXINS: There is evidence that long-term or extreme exposure to certain environmental toxins will increase the likelihood of developing Parkinson’s disease over time. The toxins are mostly agricultural chemicals, such as pesticides and herbicides that are sprayed on commercial crops. (This risk factor does not apply to me)

HORMONES: Women who undergo hormonal changes face a slight increase in the chance of acquiring Parkinson’s disease. This seems to occur when the hormone estrogen begins to decline in the body. The estrogen might stop protecting the neurons in the brain. This affects production of a chemical called dopamine, possibly resulting in the development of Parkinson’s disease. Hormone replacement therapy can sometimes help, although there is not much research about the overall effectiveness of this treatment yet.(I'll have to ask my doc about this)

HEAD TRAUMA:  Another potential factor that can increase the chance of Parkinson’s disease is head trauma. This means physical injuries to the head or upper neck. It is thought that head trauma might actually damage the neurons in the brain.( I have never had head trauma)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2