Being Positive

   
   I decided to blog again because so many of my friends told me that they missed my blog!  I was going to write a blog about doing Random Acts of Kindness.  That was too difficult to work out because so so, so many people have been so kind to me when they see me struggle to walk with my walker.  Many people run ahead of me and hold the door open for me.
   
This adorable card was made by my friend Debbie's granddaughters Paige and Brielle.  I just LOVE it, they are the sweetest little girls!

  I HATE having Parkinsons, no ifs, ands, or buts.  I just hate it but I am not going to let it control my life.  I don't have any problems with tremors or shaking, at least, not for now. I am trying to remain as positive as I can be.  I buried my 18 year old daughter Amy in 2001, there is nothing, including Parkinsons, that can ever be as difficult to live with.  All bereaved parents know that there is nothing worse than losing a child. I copied the info below from WIkipedia.
Parkinson's disease (PD) is a long-term degenerative disorder of the central nervous system that mainly affects the motor system.[1] Non-motor symptoms, however, become increasingly common as the disease worsens.[1][4] The symptoms generally come on slowly over time.[1] Early in the disease, the most obvious are shakingrigidityslowness of movement, and difficulty with walking.[1] Thinking and behavioral problems may also occur.[2] Dementia becomes common in the advanced stages of the disease.[2] Depression and anxiety are also common, occurring in more than a third of people with PD.[2] Other symptoms include sensory, sleep, and emotional problems.[1][2] The main motor symptoms are collectively called "parkinsonism", or a "parkinsonian syndrome".[4][8]
The cause of Parkinson's disease is generally unknown, but believed to involve both genetic and environmental factors.[4] Those with a family member affected are more likely to get the disease themselves.[4] There is also an increased risk in people exposed to certain pesticides and among those who have had prior head injuries, while there is a reduced risk in tobacco smokers and those who drink coffee or tea.[4][9] The motor symptoms of the disease result from the death of cells in the substantia nigra, a region of the midbrain.[1] This results in not enough dopamine in these areas.[1] The reason for this cell death is poorly understood, but involves the build-up of proteins into Lewy bodies in the neurons.[4] Diagnosis of typical cases is mainly based on symptoms, with tests such as neuroimaging being used to rule out other diseases.[1]
There is no cure for Parkinson's disease, with treatment directed at improving symptoms.[1][10] Initial treatment is typically with the antiparkinson medication levodopa (L-DOPA), with dopamine agonists being used once levodopa becomes less effective.[2] As the disease progresses and neurons continue to be lost, these medications become less effective while at the same time they produce a complication marked by involuntary writhing movements.[2] Diet and some forms of rehabilitation have shown some effectiveness at improving symptoms.[11][12] Surgery to place microelectrodes for deep brain stimulation has been used to reduce motor symptoms in severe cases where drugs are ineffective.[1] Evidence for treatments for the non-movement-related symptoms of PD, such as sleep disturbances and emotional problems, is less strong.[4]
In 2015, PD affected 6.2 million people and resulted in about 117,400 deaths globally.[6][7] Parkinson's disease typically occurs in people over the age of 60, of which about one percent are affected.[1][3] Males are more often affected than females at a ratio of around 3:2.[4] When it is seen in people before the age of 50, it is called early-onset PD.[13] The average life expectancy following diagnosis is between 7 and 14 years
   The only symptom I have right now is difficulty walking. (Dan might say I also have DEMENTIA) My legs seem to freeze up and I can't move!  It is very frustrating,  I was never exposed to pesticides, never had a head or brain injury, and I am a female.  No one in my family ever had it.  I had a brain MRI and that was all clear from tumors, lesions, etc.  So the only diagnosis left was Parkinsons.  Since last April I have had the worst sciatica so I assumed my movement problems were from that!As my disease progressed,  my daughter Renee, who is a PA(physician assistant), suggested I see a neurologist to rule out Parkinsons.  The problem was that he ruled it in instead of ruling it out.  I started on the levodopa about a week ago but it really is not helping much but I am hopeful it will if I take it for awhile.

         Today the Valentine candy will be 50-75% off, that is something to feel positive about!! Yesterday I got beautiful roses, had surf and turf for dinner, and had dinner with Dan, Olivia and Frankie. Olivia and I cooked the lobster tails, and Dan cooked the filet on the grill outside! Olivia got flowers and a beautiful heart shaped box of chocolates from Frankie and she shared them with us! The two open spaces in the box are from Dan and I! Olivia didn't even eat any yet.  The box is in my family room and it keeps calling my name to come and eat some!
          Dan and I had a daytime ice cream date!  He came home early and we ran a few errands and then picked up Olivia from school!And he bought me a chocolate and caramel covered apple! It was so delicious! I can't include a photo because I ate most of it!  Tomorrow I will probably write about how fat I am!! But those calories were so worth it!!! It was such a wonderful day!

   

Comments

  1. You are amazing Colleen.You will find a way to have a great life-no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I better try to do some good deeds so I can get into heaven, YOU ARE A SHOE-IN!!

      Delete
  2. Well, Colleen, maybe you will have to start another group once you get the ins and the outs of this newest challenge. Certainly the moms in your Newtown Square group have become good friends so you know the benefits as do I.

    We all need support and friends in this world. People who understand. People who help us make it through the tough times. That and some of that lovely chocolate you talked about could be nice, too.

    Hang in there. All prayers going out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much MJ, You are ALWAYS a beacon of light!!!

      Delete
  3. I couldn't have gone through the trauma and heartache we encountered from our children without you Colleen; truly closer and you have an empathetic ear, totally unlike my own biological sisters, who have ostracized us. I think a group would be a good idea, as Mary Jane suggested. Even if it is only on line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joni. Just think...if we didn't both adopt and use the same awful home study agency, we wouldn't even know each other!!

      Delete
  4. Colleen, I am so sorry about your diagnosis. As always you are positive and focus on the good in your life. You are an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well shit Colleen, I was not expecting this :( So sorry about the Parkinson's, but if anyone can make lemonade out of lemons, it's you. Just wish you didn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how difficult Parkinson's can be. My 87 year old father-in-law has been diagnosed with it, as well. I see how he struggles to start walking. Takes him several minutes . II admire your strength and fortitude. May God give you the strength to deal with this cross that no-one should have to bear. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Peggy. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Akinetic-rigid Parkinson's Disease

Does My Family Really Understand My PD LIMITATIONS??

June 2